If you’ve heard of Bear Lake its most likely stories about visiting the lake in the summer. The bright blue waters, the comfortable warm temperatures and all the fun outdoor activities to fill a whole weekend.
But Bear Lake in the winter is equally charming and beautiful. Families come to the mountains to enjoy a warm and cozy cabin after a day on the slopes, or trail riding with snowmobiles.
Planning a photo session during a family vacation is fast becoming a favorite choice to preserve fun memories.
So if you are scheduling a winter photo session, here are some tips to help make it successful.
- Dress kids warm, especially if you don’t want to wear coats for your pictures. Have kids in layers to help keep them warm; extra shirts, thermals, wool socks. Maybe winter hats for the little ones. And definitely have boots on everyone to keep feet warm and dry.
- Consider trying small hand warmers in pockets.
- Plan on being quick. Prepare the kids ahead of time that if they follow the directions of the photographer, then they will be through the session quick and back in the warm car.
- Have a blanket prop to warm up in.
- If you are wearing coats for your photos, avoid bulky ones.
- Keep within a color palette. When a family says, “come as you are” it looks that way, and the photos don’t have a level of polish that they could. I like to tell clients to pick a main color and a coordinating color, and lastly a neutral. For example, I’ve liked red, blue and gray. Or pinks, navy and white. Or blue, navy and tan. One family I photographed came with florescent yellow as the main bold color. I would not recommend florescent colors. They just don’t photograph well and they bounce their color off everything.
- Also with snowy pictures, be aware of how much white your family is wearing. Too much and your group will be lost with the background. White is fine to wear, but maybe under a jacket, or as a scarf. I find dark tones work best with snow and your family will pop.
So next time you’re in Bear Lake, consider scheduling a quick photo session, and have the beauty come home with you.